Summary: Responsible for coordinating the design and implementation of programs that develop motor skills, physical fitness skills for students with disabilities with specialized instruction and appropriate learning accommodations and modifications.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the evaluation, monitoring, recommending, and programming of students’ motor and physical fitness skills
- Evaluation of student progress through data collection and skill acquisition
- Oversee the Adapted Physical Education IEP student goals
- Assist the IEP team with student physical education-related assessments; develops, implements, and monitors students’ individualized plans
- Attend IEP & Progress Review Meetings
- Instruct students in adapted physical education providing small group and individual activities
- Teach motor and fitness skills that will transfer to physical activity for recreation and leisure activities
- Assist in coordinating parental/guardian consent and release forms relating to physical education activities
- Assist in serving as liaison with representatives from physical activity-based community agencies.
- Develop a seasonal unit plan calendar
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in physical education/Therapeutic Recreation or related field
- Massachusetts Teaching Certification in Physical Education
- Adaptive Physical Education Certification (APE).
- A valid Water Safety or Advanced Life Saving Certificate
- Training or experience teaching skills to students who have mental health diagnoses and/or developmental disabilities.
- A valid driver's license
- Must meet Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) background check requirements.
- Reliable transportation to residential homes located in Massachusetts
- Varied to include some weekends and evenings.